Sunday, April 1, 2012

Fool's Day Critters

"Fool me once shame on you.  Fool me twice shame on me."  A quote often used and one I used as my Facebook status first thing this morning.  Well guess what.  Joke WAS on me.  I was fooled TWICE today.  Shame on me.

Rewind to 4 years ago this May when my husband was in a hurry to leave to go to work and he finds a baby turtle the size of a half-dollar under his car tire.  He scoops it up, brings it to me and leaves.  I am left clueless as to what to do next.  I put it in a box, went online to research and found out it was a typical paint turtle or as we know pond turtle.  We named the turtle Squirt and made it a habitat. A rare find.  And then a year later, September 2009, my husband, our 4 little kids and I were playing football in the back yard.  I had the football and ran and "scored a touchdown" which made me place the ball to the ground and wouldn't you know BAM! Right beside that football? Another paint turtle.  Same size Squirt was when we found him/her.  Of course we kept the baby and put it with Squirt and named him/her (we still can't identify the gender!) Crush!  


Fast forward to months ago.  My girl, let's just call her Kasey, had asked me about our turtles and said she had been thinking about getting one for her son.  I had told her it's too bad we can't find another. We hadn't been that lucky.  So then last week let's just say she wanted a turtle still for her son's birthday but couldn't find one so she gets her son a puppy instead.  That was that or so I thought.  Last night I was watching a movie with Dan and there was a turtle on it named Shelly and I told Dan that Shelly was the perfect name for a turtle.  And then I flashbacked to when we found our turtles and thought how rare and we'll probably never again find turtles like that again.  Well, unless of course our turtles lay eggs and then we'll know for sure their gender LOL!  Watched another movie went to bed woke up this morning made my coffee get on facebook THE usual morning start for me!

So, April Fool's 2012...no joke was played all morning.  I thought I was safe.  Well imagine my surprise when my neighbor/friend comes in our house with A TURTLE just like Squirt and Crush and the same size they were when we found them!  Oh my goodness!  I had just had that flashback last night and the talk with Kasey last week.  She said her dad had found it in their backyard and didn't want him/her.  So, as much as I wanted to keep the baby, I knew I couldn't.  I don't "think" Squirt and Crush would try to eat this baby but I was afraid they'd be bullied.  I knew the baby needed a home.  Kasey!  Of course she agreed and the rest is history!  And then no more than I find that baby a home I am grabbed by the arms of my kids (ok, not that dramatically) across the road to visit with another neighbor.  He's messing around and moves a cinderblock and Landon's natural bug looking dirt digging instincts kick in and he finds a Tiger Salamander!  Of course in his eyes that Salamander became our 6th pet immediately! 

I pretty much spent all afternoon researching and trying to build a habitat.

Complained later to my friend Kasey because pretty much "this day was a joke!" and I had so much I needed to do this afternoon but I didn't get around to any of them yaddy yaddy yaddy and she said and I quote:

"But these are the things they'll remember, ya know? 
They won't remember the piles of laundry. They'll remember the day Mom spent making a home for the gecko they caught."  And I reply with "
Very true! But, I do need to do one load of kj's clothes at least because she may remember the day we did all this but I had to send her to school in her pj's the next day bwahahahahahaha!"  


As much as I joked back, she was right!  April Fool's Day 2012 will be one to remember indeed! Here I thought the joke was on me...2 rare finds and in turn which the Salamander put me behind on things...but in all actuality the joke was on April Fool's Day itself because I made memories.  And I will keep these memories until the day I die.  Whether or not my children even remember this day.  I don't care.  But I will!   


And with memory on the brain I must run and do said laundry above really quickly!  Weekends fly!



I leave you with "fool me twice" pictures!







Disclaimer:  No animals were harmed by my children and we are very aware of salmonella and other diseases reptiles and amphibians carry!   : )  









No comments:

Post a Comment